Monday 20 August 2012

Phuket Diaries

It was Phuket next on our (very short) itinerary (I'm very good with spellings - but that word always gets me). Bangkok Air got us there and I fully recommend using this airline if you're travelling within Thailand. At Bangkok Airport even on an Economy ticket we got full access to the Bangkok Air lounge. This included free wifi, coffee/tea/hot chocolate from a machine, sandwiches, cake, other local snacks and a popcorn machine - so all in all not exactly a gourmet feast, but its enough to keep you busy and its the thought that counts right? If your're anything like me and love freebies, you will appreciate the sentiment.

Now that I've actually sat down to write this post, I've realised I was so busy relaxing that I didn't take nearly as many photos in Phuket as I did in Bangkok. :(
  
Just lots of selfies at the beach!
We stayed at the Royal Paradise Hotel (it was a huge contrast from Grand Millennium) not the best hotel I've stayed in - but I've got say, great location! Right in the heart of everything Patong has to offer, and the tallest building in the area, so whenever we got lost - and its really easy to get lost in Phuket with all the One-Ways - we would just look for the tallest building and head in that direction. It's a 5 minute walk from Patong beach, where we spent our day lazying on beach chairs which you can hire for the day for 100B (Approx. $3). You can eat, drink, shop, get a massage/henna tattoos/mani/pedis without ever getting out of that chair. The beach-vendors come to you. And unlike some other places I've been to, they don't harass you - which is great!

Beautiful Sunset at Patong Beach
After lazying around all day, I finally got off my bum and went jet-skiing into the sunset all by myself! It was such a wonderful, peaceful and empowering experience. At first, I was a bit scared as the waves were getting a bit rough, but turned out I was really good at it. And I rode(?) the jet-ski to a quiet spot away from the beach and watched the sun go down, it was pure bliss! 

The next day, we went to Karon beach, 20 min. drive from Patong. And I have more selfies to show - but this is how I shopped on the beach. There were no mirrors, so I was trying things on and taking pics to see what they looked like.
Crochet top - that I didn't buy - I bought a crochet dress though for around $8
Sarong that I didn't buy
Sarong that I DID buy - finally! Approx $5
 I loved shopping at the beach! It just doesn't get any better than that! And remember when you are in Thailand ALWAYS bargain. Tourism is the biggest income of their economy and they'll try and get as much money from you as they possibly can, and yes, everything's pretty cheap when you convert to dollars, but its fun to bargain! Don't feel embarrassed to go down to half or even one-third the price they quote. They know how much they want and they know you'll bargain so they'll always start at a really high price and you've got to start at lower than what you are willing to pay, so that you can get to a mid-way compromise. And this goes for everything from shopping in markets to taxis.
Karon Beach
Karon - Relatively quiet as compared to Patong Beach
And that brings me to my last night in Thailand :(. How time flies when you are having fun! Well, I can't end without an Outfit Post. Time to see what I wore on my final night in Phuket...


Sequinned Top: Approx $25 (Forever 21)
Coral Laser-cut Shorts: *$22.97 (Forever New)
Colour Block Ballet Flats: *$25 (Forever New)
Bracelet: *$7 (Forever New)
Gold Clutch: *$22 (Colette)

Outfit Total: Approx. $101.97
* = sale prices

Oh and here's how we got to places while in Phuket, we hired mopeds for 300B/day (approx. $10). They were so much fun to ride around on, not to mention incredibly economical. Here's a couple of videos I took of the bike ride (and you'll see that's how most people get around in Phuket). This is Patong...

And that brings us to the end. I feel just as sad writing about it, as I did when I actually had to leave. We had such a wonderful time in Thailand! It was definitely an unforgettable experience! The people, the climate, the beaches, the nightlife, THE FOOD were all spectacular! I can't wait to go back. Here's hoping - to Thailand!
         

2 comments:

  1. Aw lovely! Did you hire the moped thingy to drive around places (eg - to Karon beach?) or did you get a taxi?
    I wouldnt mind checking out the nearby beaches but have no idea how to get around to further places if I'm not driving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya totally! We rode the mopeds to Karon beach and it took about 20 min to get there from Patong (including getting lost and going the wrong way for about 5min). Kata & Karon beaches are within 20-30 min from Patong. We only got taxis to and from the Airport which is about an hour from Patong. Cost us about 600B each way ($20).

      Delete